And Then There was Progress

Yes, I could see the scale moving and I could see a little muscle tone in some places that used to be all mush. But then I would look in the mirror and wonder if I was just willing myself to see my body differently.

It might not surprise any of you to know that in the past I’ve never had a healthy, objective view of my body. Which is just kind of exhausting, really, especially when I look back and realize how skewed my vision of myself was (dysmorphia, I think it’s called). But I wanted to have something solid to look at this time around and I’m SO excited because this definitely worked.

And I’m not actually going to print these out and hang them up all over my fridge and office and bathroom walls but it’s SO tempting cause I know it would keep me focused.

But I know you don’t want to read, you just want to look at the pictures, so go to it!

Front View NovFront Arms Up Nov

Can I just say that I’m not sure you’re ready for the next two? Cause they’re kind of crazy.

Side View NovBack View Nov

Lessons learned: Resist the urge to wear your high school mascot shorts because you will get excited enough to post these pictures on the internet and then you’ll have no choice but to post a picture of your ass with cougar paw prints all up ons. Go team? The funny thing is that I still have the shorts at all cause I was definitely not winning any school spirit awards back in the day. Oh well. I promise to refrain from using my butt as a billboard ever again.

I also wish my very first set of pictures had been full body pictures instead of cutting myself off at the knees but that’s okay. My September and November pictures are full body shots so I have those for my future updates.

So. There you have it – not quite 3 months worth of work done (I didn’t join the gym until a couple weeks after the first pictures were taken) and about 5 more months of TWLC ahead of me. I know after seeing these pictures I’m SO excited to keep working and keep watching my progress. I already feel like a whole new person so I know everything I’ve been doing is totally worth it.

34 thoughts on “And Then There was Progress

1. Mallory says:

Wow, Kate!!! GREAT JOB! You look great, it’s insane how little time it actually takes to transform our bodies. I love that you shared these photos with us, it’s very inspirational! I wish I had taken progress photos too! Keep up the good work!

• Kate says:

I am shocked about the time part of this – it makes me wonder why I put it off so long if results like these were possible to see so quickly! Thank you so much for all your support through this and I wish you had taken progress pics too cause I know yours would be amazing to see!

2. Jenna says:

Oh wow. Woah. Hey Nellie. Holy Cow. I know I struggle to understand what I actually look like (50 lbs lighter and I still don’t really *feel* any skinnier) so I hope that comments like those above, and mine, will reinforce that you are making some really phenomenal progress. So so inspiring!

• Kate says:

Thank you so much, Jenna! I think having the pictures is really helpful because I don’t see much difference in the mirror but I definitely see it in the pictures! I can’t wait to see what happens next.

3. Betsy says:

CONGRATULATIONS! I’m so impressed by your ability to stick to your workouts and keep pushing even when you didn’t think it was making a difference because it clearly was! Thanks for being so brave and sharing these pictures and keep up the AWESOME work!

• Kate says:

Thanks, Betsy! I wish I still had you to take my pictures for me, haha. I also miss our white walls (never thought I’d say that)!

• Kate says:

Thanks! I’m definitely proud – I keep staring at the pictures and wishing I could think of a non-awkward way to show them off to all my coworkers but I don’t want to be “that girl”. haha.

4. Chelsea says:

Amazing work, Kate!! I’m so happy for you. This is such great encouragement to all of us who are trying to live a healthier lifestyle. The number on the scale is one thing but to physically see the progress is even more exciting! This is a great idea and I think I might have to start taking pictures each month as well! Congratulations and keep at it! :)

• Kate says:

I HIGHLY recommend the progress pictures. They kept me focused for sure, and it’s so good to have the evidence of all my hard work. I also took bathing suit pictures that I’ll post when I reach the end of my “journey” haha – the bonus being I treated myself to a new bathing suit for the pictures that will be a reward for when I feel comfortable enough to wear it!

5. Laura Sheridan Bliss says:

Thumbs aloft ma’am, thumbs aloft! I was so excited when i saw todays post title. Consider me impressed, your hard work has really paid off- you deserve to be so very proud. Love that you have pics and that we didn’t have to wait until the end of TWLC2 to see them! Can’t wait to see future greatness.

• Kate says:

Haha, well I sure wasn’t gonna wait until April to share my results with you! That would just be ridiculous. Unless there wasn’t anything to share in which case I would be really really sad and probably would just give up trying. Thank goodness that’s not the case! Thanks, Laura!

6. Actor John says:

Keep up the awesome progress. You are beautiful because of what is on the inside. Taking care care of your body just means we all get to enjoy your company for a long long time. :)