The Halfway Point

July 2, 2012

Happy…July? I can’t believe we’ve already made it through half of this year! It seems like time is flying by.

June was a crazy month for me. There were a lot of things going on and when I look back at it all I’m kind of exhausted.
20120702-002356.jpg

Then again, I’m also exhausted because I didn’t get much sleep last night. I was wide awake until around 2:30 when I finally fell asleep. No idea why I couldn’t sleep but I was so wide awake that at one point I just got my computer back out and started writing because I had an idea and because- what else was I going to do just laying there staring up at the ceiling?

So this weekend was absolutely nuts but also a very good weekend despite the circumstances. It started out very well on Friday night when Chelsea and I finally got together and had the sushi we’d been talking about getting for ages.

Chelsea and I got to catch up on some of the things that have been going on in each other’s lives while we ate our delicious sushi, and she got to be there when I got this amazing text message from my trainer:

So the final results of the past 6 weeks are in – no idea how I did with the contest but I’ll keep you posted!

After we finished our sushi Chelsea and I headed directly for Magic Mike. The theater was packed – mostly with women – and we knew right away we were in for quite a night.

The movie was a lot of fun and I was surprised to see so much really awesome dancing (I forget Channing can dance). There were plenty of gasps and applause and lots of girly laughs. I was also surprised that there was a fairly decent storyline involved but disappointed that they didn’t really tie everything up at the end.

As we left the theater there was a lot of lightening but I didn’t think anything of it until Chelsea said she’d heard there would be bad storms. I still didn’t think much of it because we tend to get storms in the summer and they’re loud and dramatic but not usually anything too dangerous. Oops.

Our power went out before the rain even started but since it was already late I just tucked myself into bed. Funny story – I got a call from Kathy that night because she was out for the first time without Maddie at our friend’s going away party and she wanted to see if I could go take care of Maddie if her mom ended up needing to go home because of the storm. It was the first time I’ve ever gotten a call in the middle of the night where someone has wanted me for honest childcare and not for drunky-care. Oh, how the times change!

The next morning was when things got interesting. We were lucky enough to live near a Starbucks that still had power so that took care of breakfast, and then we all headed out for haircuts. Driving was a nightmare because people don’t remember to treat shut off traffic signals as four way stops, but also because there were a lot of blocked intersections and people doing strange things just because they could.

Fortunately our stylist’s salon had power but not internet so I ended up having to go get cash to pay for my haircut (thank goodness the ATM worked).

I wasn’t excited to spend the day at home with nothing to do since everything I had on my to-do list required electricity so I went to do what I do best – hold my niece and spend some quality time with my best friend. While I was doing that the power came back on at home so we ended up only being without power for less than 24 hours. Such a blessing!

Sunday it was back to life as usual and I spent most of the day shopping with my mother so she could get her dress for the wedding and I could get a new dress for the rehearsal dinner that was in one of the wedding colors. The mall was packed with people – as were most public places this weekend. It makes me wonder if that gave our economy a little boost or if it will turn out to be a wash since there are some places that still can’t open because they don’t have power.

I was exhausted after my day of shopping but somehow managed to have trouble falling asleep. Funny how that works, isn’t it? On the upside I got some writing done and it was really awesome to be in the mood to do some creative writing again.

Today I’ll be scrambling to get all packed and get everything done before I head down to Charlotte, NC for the wedding. I had so many things on my to-do list and got so few of them done I’ll have to stick to just the priorities but that’s how life goes, right?

Right now I’m mostly just thankful that our storm experience was so incredibly mild compared to what other people are going through. We were lucky (though I was whiny without the internet for that period of time and even more so when even my cell service was out for a while) and I don’t think we even ended up losing any food or anything.

Today I’m linking up with Molly for #yolomondays again!

AND Sami from Sami’s Shenanigans for Weekend Update:

So be sure to go check out the other blogs in these two linkups!

How was your weekend? Did you have to experience the storm?

UPDATE: I just got this text:20120702-135208.jpg
I may or may not be doing a victory dance right now. Just so you know. Yes!!

{ 16 comments… read them below or add one }

Carly July 2, 2012 at 10:28 am

Prepare yourself for heat! Ive been in south Carolina all week and it’s INSANE how hot it is!

Just found you via YOLO and can’t wait to read more!

Carly
Carly recently posted..Product Spotlight: KMS California Free Shape Quick Blow DryMy Profile

Kate July 2, 2012 at 10:43 am

Ooh, I’m sure it’s going to be killer hot “down south!” I’ll keep that in mind while I pack! Thanks for coming over and saying hi!

Sami July 2, 2012 at 11:06 am

I completely agree with you on Magic Mike. The storyline was okay, kind of ridiculous but didn’t end well! Loved Channing though, that boys got moves and a very lucky wife! Good luck with all of the wedding festivities :) Thanks for linking up!

Kate July 2, 2012 at 10:39 pm

You know, I don’t know if I could be married to someone like Channing. His wife is pretty lucky, but she must also be pretty patient and understanding! Thanks for hosting this link up!

molly July 2, 2012 at 2:53 pm

YAY!!!!!!! YOU WON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ahhhh so excited for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i’m doing a happy dance. and wow what a busy weekend – glad you guys are okay i heard the storms were bad but didn’t realize HOW bad! and by the way your hair looks amazing!! LOVE it!! thanks again for linking up, girl! you the best.
molly recently posted..#YOLOMONDAYS Link-Up: $5 Skirt WHAT! WHAT!My Profile

Kate July 2, 2012 at 10:38 pm

Thanks, Molly! I’ve been happy dancing all day! I’m going to be a good linker-upper this time and go back and comment on the other blogs like I meant to last time and totally forgot. I promise :)

Leeann @ Join the Gossip July 2, 2012 at 3:32 pm

Congrats on winning the contest!! That’s awesome :) Are you the one who lost 17lbs? If so, wow that’s great!

And I am officially the only one who has NOT seen Magic Mike. I’m interested since it’s based on Channing’s story. Plus. the bare asses hehe ;)

Sucks about the power outages!

Thanks for linking up with us!!

Kate July 2, 2012 at 10:36 pm

Thanks, Leeann! I did lose 17 pounds and I’m still trying to wrap my head around the whole thing. I’m so happy that I did it this time since this is like the 6th time I’ve tried to win it :)

It’s definitely a fun movie and I’m sure it will be around theaters for a while so you should get a chance to see it if you really want to!

Dana {five30three.com} July 2, 2012 at 4:50 pm

I would have to run like the wind if someone said pay in cash, you can’t use your credit card right now. Eeep.

And your niece is just darling. Love the baby double chin!!!

Kate July 2, 2012 at 10:34 pm

Unfortunately they kept that whole “our credit card reader is down” business a secret until I went to pay so I’d already had my hair cut and all. Not a very nice thing to do, right? I’m just glad I could use the ATM or I might have been in big trouble. Or maybe they would have let me come back and pay later, I don’t know.

And I also love Maddie’s many chins. I hope she goes through the chubby, rolly phase at some point too. I’m such a baby nerd lately!

Sarah S. July 2, 2012 at 5:10 pm

WOO-HOO! The power outages were scary. Mostly because we use electricity for a lot of baby stuff! I hope the puppies weren’t freaked by the storm. Delilah is dying because of all the thunder and firecrackers this weekend.
Sarah S. recently posted..Four months and other assorted miscellanyMy Profile

Kate July 2, 2012 at 10:28 pm

They didn’t much like all the noise and carrying on but it was more windy here than it was thunder-y (ugh, I know that’s not even a cute fake word I really just couldn’t think of a better way to say it). I can’t even imagine having an infant in this storm though, good grief.

kat July 2, 2012 at 5:29 pm

Yay! I am so happy you won- that must feel amazing!

Kate July 2, 2012 at 10:26 pm

Thanks, Kat. Yes, it does feel really amazing to win! I may have even had some extra swagger in my step as I walked around the gym today :)

Tiffany July 3, 2012 at 2:19 pm

Cute haircut! Yum sushi! Congrats on WINNING! and YOU LOOK AMAZING IN THAT DRESS! Okay, I’m done with my exclamations (for now). :)
Tiffany recently posted..VLOG: Weeks 10,11,12 Check-InMy Profile

Kate July 5, 2012 at 12:44 am

Thank you (x1000 for everything you said here)! I’m really excited to wear the dress on Friday, haha.