This year marks my two year anniversary with Young Living. Two years! I honestly can’t believe it. So I started thinking – what do I wish someone had told me about essential oils when I first started using them? What would have been most helpful to know before I ever ordered the little oils everyone swears will “change your life”? I quickly came up with 5 things I wish I’d known about essential oils before I got started.
1. There’s one (or a few) in every crowd. Everyone has a different comfort level when it comes to essential oil use. That makes sense. And just like with everything else out there, some people will take it too far. Do they give oilers a bad name? Sometimes. But most EO users are not running around making crazy claims about curing the Black Plague or fixing broken bones with their oils. Most of us are still 100% on board with western medicine. There’s an oil for everything – except detached limbs, heart attacks and so on. We’re not against medication or doctors. Just like everyone else, we want our meds to work when we need them!
This is why I tell everyone to take learning about essential oils at their own pace. It’s easy to get overwhelmed with the sheer volume of information available. A lot of the information you can find is not necessarily even relevant or helpful. Start slow, stick with advice that falls in your comfort zone (as far as usage) and make sure you’re in a great community of other oil users who can share their tried and true resources and support. Just like with anything else you’re thinking about trying out, you should be welcomed into the community to ask questions, learn what they offer and get a sense of the “vibe” in that group to see if it’s the right fit for you (p.s. you can join my Facebook group here). Imagine it like trying out a new workout class – you’ll know pretty quickly if it’s the one for you or not. Try a few if that’s what it takes to find a good fit.
2. There actually is research on essential oils available. So many people like to say there’s “no research” when that’s not the case at all. Let’s look at Tea Tree oil, for example. The Mayo Clinic has assigned the research about using Tea Tree oil for acne a B grade*. That’s pretty good for something that allegedly has “no research.” The truth is there’ve been a lot of studies, just not enough. Research is complex and we’ve made it (unnecessarily, IMO) complicated by telling ourselves it’s boring and confusing. Then we start assigning grades and it gets even more inaccessible. A B grade sounds weak, but in research world it’s not as weak as you’d think. That just means there haven’t been any big, randomized control studies (aka the expensive ones).
Now, why is that? This is less of a conspiracy theory than some people would like you to think. Just follow the money! We can’t even get enough people to fund studies to cure chronic health conditions like diabetes, epilepsy and heart disease. Come on! Of course we don’t have a robust library of evidence supporting essential oil use. I could go on for days about this topic. The point is, the research is out there and getting better all the time.
3. Becoming a wholesale member is not scary. I know people have strong opinions about MLM/network marketing companies but there’s just no good reason to be afraid of them. Joining Young Living as a wholesale member is by far the best way to get started with essential oils and I promise, there is never any pressure to buy more or to sell anything. Something like 90% of wholesale members never sell anything. I’ve been part of YL for 2 years and never had anyone push anything on me.
Now, refer back to my point about there being one in every crowd – it sure could happen that you ran into someone who’d gone off the deep end and got a little rabid but they are definitely NOT the norm by any means. I’ve personally NEVER witnessed this within YL but I feel like I have to address it because I know it’s possible and has happened in other organizations. But that also goes to show why you should be careful who you choose to enroll with and making sure they’re the kind of person you trust and want to be around – or will respect your wishes to be left alone.
The other benefit of being a wholesale member is that you’re already set up to start referring others when you decide to share your love of oils with the people around you. In this day and age, just about every product and program comes with a referral offer or affiliate code. Young Living is very much the same, but they reward their “affiliates” (aka wholesale members) a little better than most big box companies. It’s really that simple.
4. The FDA is actually way up in our oily business. This is another rumor – that the FDA “doesn’t regulate” oils. Once again, that’s not the whole story. The FDA is watching carefully to make sure we talk about our oils in a way that’s going to keep people safe. That means we can’t be out there telling everyone our oils cured so and so’s broken leg (or anything else, for that matter). Essential oils are not FDA approved to treat, cure, or heal anything. Neither are your vitamins. The FDA treats oils and dietary supplements similarly, so the regulations may not be as strict as some people would like them to be but they do keep a sharp watch on how we label and market our products. Anyone making wild health claims or recommending “off label” use is in direct violation of both FDA guidelines and our company policies (if they’re with Young Living). That’s why it’s even more important to know as much as possible about the company you’re buying from and the team you enroll with. I don’t know about you but I’m happy to buy from a company that lets me, and anyone else who wants to, visit and be part of the planting, harvesting and distillation process.
5. Essential oils will simplify your life. When I first started, everyone kept telling me that oils would change my life. But let’s be honest – everything out there right now promises it will change your life and that’s kind of a weird thing to say because most people aren’t even super in love with change. Anyway. I think it’s better to say that essential oils will simplify your life. I’m now much more intentional about what I buy and why. I think we’ve all hit a point where we look around and are just overwhelmed by the sheer amount of stuff it seems to take to keep a household running. Multiplied by the number of people in your house…it adds up. Is most of this stuff actually helping any of us or is it just one more thing to look after?
As someone who has moved once a year for most of her adult life, I know that having too much stuff quickly becomes overwhelming. Switching to essential oils and oil-infused products made such an impact on the amount of stuff I have to keep around -and keep up with- that I would be mean if I didn’t share about it!
Young Living has made it super easy to get started with essential oils by putting together the Premium Starter Kit. It is by far the best value for money you’ll find when it comes to the quality of the products, education, customer service and having everything you need to dive into the oily life. Your kit comes with 11 of the most popular oil and oil blends, your choice of diffuser, a wholesale membership which includes access to our rewards program, all kinds of education on how to use your oils, plus a 24% discount on any future purchases you make. They’re also offering a free bottle of Christmas Spirit to anyone who enrolls this month (November 2016)!
Why should you join with me specifically? Because you’re looking for someone who shares your same ideas about the role essential oils can play in our lives. Maybe you’ve always wanted to try essential oils, but you weren’t sure you knew how to get started or what you would use the oils for outside of making your home smell nice. Or maybe because you’ve heard a lot of conflicting opinions and just want someone to level with you – no nonsense, no pressure and absolutely no judgment.
Being part of the Oil Worthy team means you have a community of like-minded essential oil users who are ready to share what’s worked for them. That includes everything from reference materials to recipes, and yes, how to teach your own classes and share what you’ve learned if you decide that’s a step you’d like to take. You also get to choose how you want to connect with us and communicate. Would you prefer to meet one on one? No problem. Wanna watch a video class from the comfort of your home, at a time that fits in your schedule? Done. Need an excuse to get out of the house and hang out with some awesome people? We’ve got you covered!
In honor of my anniversary with Young Living, I’m offering free shipping** to anyone who gets started as a wholesale member in November 2016. This is on top of Young Living’s free bottle of Christmas Spirit! Click here to get started today and I’ll reach out right away about what to do next.
So those are the top 5 things I wish I’d known about essential oils before I got started and I know I could think of several more. How about you? What is is you wish you’d known? Or still want to know?
*source: http://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/tea-tree-oil/evidence/hrb-20060086. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, prevent or cure anything. Please consult your physician if you have a health concern.
**Offer ends at midnight EST on November 30, 2016 and only applies to new members enrolling directly with me.