Posts Tagged by paint
|September 16, 2011||Filled under Stuff From All Over|
This week’s round up of “Things that don’t really fit anywhere else and won’t take up a whole blog post on their own.” I’m not in a chatty mood this morning, so let’s just get to it.
– from a G-chat conversation on desperately needing a girls’ night out:
me: aww, well, it will be great
even if we just end up at mcdonalds.
Kathy: have a little class kate, worst comes to worst we will go to chick fil a
– Every woman ever needs to read this article: A Message to Women from A Man: You are Not “Crazy.” (Thanks to Stephanie for tweeting this one). I’m glad I read it and I wish I’d had a chance to read it when I was younger. How many times have I been made to feel that I’m overly emotional or overly sensitive to things when really it was just that whomever I interacted with was uncomfortable about my reaction? Their response was to make me feel like I was “wrong” in the situation when really there wasn’t necessarily a right or wrong way to behave. I’ve had friends, good friends (female ones!), use my emotional reaction to prove their point that what they are telling me is right and that because I reacted emotionally it must be that I am “in denial” about whatever they’re saying. As my friend, Bridget, pointed out, this is a source of girl on girl crime as well “I prefer hanging out with boys because girls are so crazy.” And how many times have we reacted emotionally to something only to have someone (male or female) snap back with an “is it that time of the month?” Oh my gosh, I’m so over it!
– Every now and then I go back and read through old blog posts. It never fails to make me happy and thoughtful. Yesterday I was reading a post where I referred to “the twins” – meaning my non-existant twin daughters, Mandy and Katie. Usually when I refer to them I put all kinds of disclaimers about how they’re not real (yet) but in this post I just dropped them in there with no explanation whatsoever. If you know me (via blog or IRL) you know the twins are just a pipe dream but if you were a random stranger who happened on that one post you might have been really confused. It made me laugh really hard.
– If you’ve been on the internet at all for the past week you may have seen this. If you haven’t, you’ve seen it now. Last time someone said that, I hadn’t yet seen it and then I was sad that no one had sent me my own whale. And then I got this text:
– Can you imagine going into labor and riding your bike to the hospital to deliver your baby? Apparently this happens all the time in Denmark. I’m absolutely stunned. And impressed. And really thankful I won’t need to do it myself.
– Every office has that guy (or gal). TGIF.
– Until yesterday, our dining room was an unfortunate shade of pastel pink. It’s now an amazing blue color. My mother’s rule when I picked the color was that it had to match her existing curtains. I picked 5 colors, all of which were literally discontinued (why they still had the samples out I don’t know) before making the decision. The color I chose matches perfectly – and it just happens to be from the Disney line. It’s called “Infinity and Beyond.” I was grasping at straws when I picked it but now I’m glad I did because it works so well. Picture later!
– I was really surprised to learn that some of the “default” settings in computer products are not made defaults cause there’s a good reason for them to be default – and then not surprised at all. If you’ve ever tried to do a project without all of the information you need, I think you’ll sympathize. This is not a Microsoft-bashing, or even a Programmer-bashing opportunity because I’m certain the same thing happens all over.
– On Wednesday I was reminded of an important lesson – never wear grey for a workout. Post run, this is what my shirt looked like:
I then spent 20 minutes trying to get the shirt dry before I met with my trainer. Which was totally a waste of time and completely impossible. I then wished I had a fresh shirt to put on. These are the kinds of things that go through my mind at the gym. How embarrassed I am that other people can tell that I’ve been sweating. At the gym. I’m telling you, my mind goes to weird places sometimes.
– Here’s something to think about next time you find yourself judging someone. If nothing else, your brain will be so busy trying to remember all the steps that you won’t have time to categorize and label the person in front of you. And then maybe we’ll all be a little happier.
– Before you think I’ve gotten all Disney on you (and you know I love Disney!) I did an informal Twitter Poll last week:
The responses were overwhelming. And so I am happy to present you with my newest Pinterest board. It’s called “Please No.” And if you’re a Pinterest member and want to add to it, let me know and I will be happy to add you as a collaborator! If you are not a Pinterest member and want to become one, please let me know and I will be happy to invite you! Want to know what you’re getting into first? Here’s an example:
The goal is not to make fun of people or hurt anyone’s feelings. It’s just to have a little laugh and keep our heads on straight. Because, let’s face it. Not everything that ends up on Pinterest is a gem. Some of that stuff is just plain weird (see loaf of dog, above).
Okay, so, lots of goodies today. Now you tell me: What are you most looking forward to this weekend? Also, do you want in on the Please, No board and/or just Pinterest in general?